Thursday, June 11, 2009

Yay Sobriety.

Thanks to my recent bout with food poisoning, alcohol hasn't touched my lips in almost five days. Five. Sadly, this is the longest I've gone without the stuff in oh, I don't know, five years? I usually get to three days then my thirst gets the best of me and I have to have one. Or four. Or seven. I work in a restaurant, my soul aches, therefore as a coping mechanism I am forced to drink after work. Or before work. Or during work. Drinking on the job does make me one delightful waitress, but it's WRONG. Drinking that much, that often, is BAD. The worse part of the whole thing is that while I'm trying to lift my spirits (with spirits) I'm killing a little something known as thoughts. I have millions of genius thoughts skipping around my brain, these thoughts only like to come out to play at night time though, as soon as I lay down to go to bed. Well, usually I drown these thoughts Hurricane Katrina-style with booze and just pass out. But when hitting the sack soberly, they're allowed to live and thrive! I went to bed around 1:00 last night and didn't actually fall asleep until almost 3:30 because I had to keep getting up to write down dialogue and ideas for my "30 Rock" spec script. Oh yeah, that's my new ridiculous thing to add to all my other ridiculous things that I started and never finished. Now maybe they will be finished! Three cheers for temperance!

Now I don't think I have a problem with alcohol. I think I have too many friends who I enjoy spending time with and unfortunately in this city one of the main components to socializing happens to be alocohol. And complaining. But there's no such thing as too much of that! I guess it's scary to think that if I stop drinking, or get a grasp on it, not only will I save money, I might actually propel myself closer to succeeding as a writer. It's amazing what can be accomplished when you're not drunk, hungover, or even mildly buzzed! Maybe only allow myself only to drink one day a week? I can still have fun even when I'm not drinking, right? RIGHT? We'll see how this actually goes, but it would be nice to churn out a script or two of something, anything, and not completely waste the summer, let alone my life, drinking.

On a completely random sidenote: While watching an old "30 Rock" episode, with David Schwimmer on it as Greenzo, I realized I onced dated (?) a guy who looks like him. It was kind of sad, because David Schwimmer? Aw, bless. He's trying. I also wondered if said guy knows he looks like him. Yeah. End random sidenote here.

No comments:

Post a Comment